Wednesday 8 February 2012

This Blogs Purpose

...I need to get this clear in my head before I post more, I think :D

Primary: 

I want to personally track my progress as I strive to better my own life, so have created this blog as a means to do that- recording my progress, success, failures and discoveries.

Secondary:

Share my experiences with other people. Maybe get feedback from comments.

Additional:

I don't really want to monetise it as I feel it would cheapen what I'm trying to do here, but increasing my income is part of my master plan, so I guess it would be fine to get adsense clicks if I am to post stuff which is pretty useful to people. But then, do I want to write this blog for myself or others? Or both? I guess write this for myself mainly, then reassess later down the line.

I want to try to leave out petty day to day feelings. I've kept a separate, main, personal journal for several years and can continue to keep one for those kinds of things...

Although do I really want 4 separate blogs and journals? In addition to this one I've got: my:
* Private Journal/Diary which I use for voicing my thoughts and usually bitching about life!
* Private daily tasks Blog for the purpose of recording what I'm doing with my days in short bullet points.
* Private Positive Blog, which I occasionally remember to record positive things I did in my day or have achieved recently.
* Plus I have several separate documents detailing specific facets of my personality or longer articles/mini essays I've written which seem too profound to include within my daily bitchings etc!

I guess I record a lot of thoughts and a wide range of self discoveries and trying to organize it all is in itself a mammoth project! Perhaps I should just have one place to record all this stuff, like a dedicated, organized website I use which mixes public and private content? And then I would need to find a way to regularly back it all up locally as I would not be happy if there was some kind of web server crash and I lost my life's work so to speak! Keeping digital records of my life over the last 10 years or so has been a pretty big part of my life and don't think I will ever completely give it up, even if I was super happy and busy living life (which is kinda my big goal!). I would love to present my 'life data' as a kind of well constructed body of work and want this blog- my 'evolution as a person' to be part of that. I need to consider keeping a coherent system for blogging, organizing data, thoughts and writings which isn't going to suck away all my free time and not allow me to live the normal life I'm striving for.

Time constraints:

Further to what I was saying about recording lots of thoughts, I often wonder how I can do this effectively and consistently? I would ideally like to write my thoughts down on a weekly basis or perhaps every 3 days. This means I will need to set aside 30 mins - 2 hours (historically how long I spend on a post) but dont want blogging to become a chore. Also, I'm great at waffling- basically writing the thoughts that pop into my head as I sit here. I like waffling but this lack of consideration to the quality or preciseness of the content I'm writing makes it hard to stay on topic and time consuming to re-read at later dates! I question whether or not I even want to potentially spend 2-4 hours a week writing stuff down, when I realize that 'doing' and living life would be more productive towards my goals rather than 'wasting time' by recording my past from the last few days. I guess if I did find it a waste, I'd just not do it for however long and not stress over potential long gaps between posts.

Creating an accurate representation of my life:

One's life can only be described as one's perception of it and does not represent fact. With this in mind, how can I record progress I'm making if I'm in a depressed mood where everything seems shit? I could win gold at the Olympics or score with a super model but if my thoughts are clouded with negativity, I wont see these things an achievements and positive progress. Instead, I'll think something along the lines of: "I only got gold because the others in the race had a bad day, and who cares about a stupid medal anyway". And so I may not notice it's a successful result worth recording. I guess we will see if I can go from a stage of not noticing positive successes to being aware and proud of them on a more regular basis.

Conclusion:

Note to self: read the words under the 'Primary' heading, and dont stress the rest.. for now :D

No comments:

Post a Comment