Sunday 5 February 2012

Increasing Efficiency

Another week rushed by. I assume this is mostly just due down to ageing- the older one gets, the quicker one's life passes. Scary! Scary thoughts are things I'm trying to avoid, so wont contemplate this time passing issue again. Instead I'll think about how I can pack more into my week. So, how does one guy go about doing this and without making detrimental sacrifices? I'm just one person without any support so can't ask my team or friends for help in speeding up my achieving efficiency . Unless of course I could create a team or develop friendships for this?

I read articles in magazines and blogs and extracted a few tips like how to plan your days, organizing, only devoting so much time to certain tasks before moving on to the next one and cutting down on perfectionism.
My own favourite Efficiency self discoveries so far:
  • Research how to be efficient: It cuts into your day to start with, but the benefits have a lasting impact for a lifetime to come. A newly discovered efficiency routine must be implemented of course!
  • Kill two birds with one stone: Listen to an audio book while the gym or or eat while browsing the internet.
  • Rush: Remind myself to act as though every task within a day has a tight deadline. (Has proven tough to maintain)
  • Plan your movements: Make sure I'm completely finished in one area of the room/house/city before moving to save going back and forth several times and be conscious of the quickest way to go from one place to another.
Untested/difficult Efficiency ideas:
  • Learn from others: Spend time with others to discovery how they do things quicker than you.
  • Learn to read and write quicker: Despite having been using a computer most days for the last 12 or 13 years, I've never learned to touch type or speed-read.
  • Pay for time: Sometimes its quicker/more cost effective to pay someone to clean your car than take an hour off work whereby you would earn double the cost of a car clean if you stayed there. Although cleaning a car or doing any chore can deliver other benefits- form of exercise, sense of achievement, so must be considered carefully.
  • Healthy lifestyle: More energy to increase productivity

As a healthy lifestyle is one of my transformation goals anyway, I will get to test this one out. Eating at regular intervals- small meals every 2-3 hours should, according to all the theory, increase energy levels. For me, this will be a challenge, but also a habit I'd like to get in to, and one I will start to cultivate from now on!

No comments:

Post a Comment