Tuesday 21 August 2012

Why Most Self-help Books & Blog posts suck

I've read dozens of personal development and self help books. Probably close to 100 articles relating to personal growth for sites like Psychology Today. And then hundreds for forum posts, blog articles, magazine columns,videos and so on.

I love them! They can prove to be immensely insightful, interesting and sometimes inspirational. They can also be pretentious, stupid, pointless, confusing, re-hashed bullshit presented in a way which disguises it's true nature (to some people). In fact 9 out of 10 articles I read on psychology sites are watered down, pointless rubbish which doesn't really mean a lot in a practical sense. Also many self-help books and articles never address the problem they propose to be solving.

A typical example might be an article/book/video with the title "How to feel confident"
- I read that and think: "Wow, I want to feel confident!" so I check out the article... It then talks about how confident people act, the positive results one starts to gain once confident and why it's no good to act in a way which makes you less confident. Sometimes at the end of such articles there are dozens of internet user replies talking about how thankful they are to have read the article or how they feel boosted and ready to become a more confident person. I'm thinking "Wait a minute! This didn't actually explain "how" to feel confident. It just kinda skipped to the end objective and didn't lay down the path one must follow with the relevant sign posts in order to achieve such a goal". I expect practical methods of 'unstifling' one's self, flipping to a positive mind-set or maybe daily tasks one could carry out to then progress to different levels of confidence? In the end, many articles just don't have enough quality substance to them to make a lasting impact on my life.

Another thing that bugs me is how an article which leaves out detail. I'll read about an experiment which makes a conclusion without certain important variables taken into consideration. Perhaps certain variables were taken into account and the article author just neglected to mention all the facts, but either way, without all the facts it makes such articles pretty useless.

If I were to ever write a "how to" article, I want to make sure I am as detailed and comprehensive as possible and that I actually answer the hard questions in a well thought-out, intelligent way! Those are the kinda things I wanna read about.

No comments:

Post a Comment