Tuesday 3 April 2012

Japanese Culture provides insights

I've been in a fan of Japan and it's culture for years. It's absolutely fascinating to me. I'm, half way through watching the series 'Welcome to the NHK'- an anime about the life of a 'Hikikomori' (social recluse) and 'NEET' (unemployed school leaver) called Tatsuhiro Satō. Not only is it a great stand-alone anime story and production, but I found myself totally able to relate and it made me realize I was also a Hikikomori. I isolate myself from society relying on income from parents or welfare, feeling unable to integrate into what society expects of me. It's a term used widely in Japan, and is similar to AvPD (Avoidant Personality Disorder).

Not something to be proud of, but knowing there are millions of people in the same situation provides a degree of comfort. It's easy for others to call people like this lazy losers, but personally speaking I don't choose to be like this. I don't want to experience so much social anxiety, negative thinking and feel the need to have to withdraw and not be able to function in the 'real world'.

I also recognise the Japanese term 'Parasite Single'- a single man (or woman) who's still living with and becomes dependant on his parent's beyond their late 20s in order to live a comfortable and less stressful life.

I wonder how one can cure themselves of these conditions/lifestyle habits?

No comments:

Post a Comment